Today I came across a very simple issue that didn’t come up with a fix in my usual quick google search.
I updated my ‘puppetlabs-powershell’ module and all of the sudden, my Windows catalogs stopped being able to compile. The error (below) didn’t come up with any quick fix in google, so I was scratching my head for a couple mins.
Error: /Stage[main]/Chocolatey::Install/Exec[install_chocolatey_official]: Provider powershell is not functional on this host
This error left me a little confused for a minute. This was working beforehand and I know that Powershell is installed and working correctly on my endpoint. I simply updated the module to a newer version.
It seems that at some point in the recent past, there was an additional dependency added for the ‘puppetlabs-powershell’ module, which is clearly marked in the Puppet Forge, but of course I didn’t see it right away.
Admittedly, I didn’t even think to check for new dependencies when updating a module. Lesson learned!
After adding that dependency to my Puppetfile, I was back once again working as intended.
Hopefully google will pick up this article and save others the time it took me to realize what was going on here!